Monday, March 16, 2020

Covid-19, Day 6: Virtual Therapy

Monday, March 16

I went to work today but Ed stayed home with the kids. It's quiet at the School of Education with no students in the building. And the campus feels like it does between semesters.

The weather is so dreary! Honestly, given the high anxiety level and this awful weather, I feel so down.

Emmett came over to play again today, and we had a conversation with Heather. I wanted to know where they are going, who they are interacting with, and I wanted to share the same details with her. It's time for us to start evaluating contact...what is safe, what is necessary. Most other families have suspended play dates. I am encouraging them to go outside when Emmett is here...because it feels safer than trading germs on screens, because they have more fun away from screens, and because they are driving me crazy in the house. There is no place to escape their loud, rambunctious play. They are bigger now and it's overwhelming when there are three! So I sent them outside where they played in the muddy backyard and got mud all of themselves and the patio. Ugh.

We are working on some online fun options for gathering...Minecraft has a server/subscription option that will allow the boys to play each other in the virtual world. We'll see if we can get that together for them.

Gill and I had a therapy appointment with Lisa @ Resolve. We were offered the option to do it virtually. I'm beginning to create a photo journal of our lives during this pandemic, so I took a photo with Lisa's permission; it was Gill's first virtual meeting. He is still pretty anxious about the virus. While we talked, he built with legos, which is typical for our appointments, but this time he was using his own legos. He built a yacht / cruise ship, and explained its many features, all of which have to do with safety. Lisa noted this. It's an expression of his anxiety. Last week, he was late to school because he became sick to his stomach after hearing a news report on NPR about Covid19. We will try to do some mindfulness and yoga with him. He does not like to hear or speak about the virus.
Gill and me, getting ready for our appointment

Counseling appointment with Lisa

Jonas and I traveled to two Target stores tonight to pick up workbooks that I had ordered online to help replace school lessons. We binge shopped candy, vegetables, wine, playdoh, and legos. The shelves for bread and paper products (toilet paper and cleaners) were bare. There was almost no soap left too.

Interesting times.

No comments: