Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Croup



Okay, so the cold wasn't a cold. There was no runny nose or chest congestion. When Jonas developed a low-grade fever, I got out the Dr. Spock book. Yes, according to Dr. S, Jonas likely had croup.

I quickly learned that croup is a virus that babies catch which causes swelling below the voice box. It's a scary thing to hear. Their cough sound horrible - like a barking seal.

Because I didn't figure this out until 1:00 p.m. on a Saturday, and our pediatrician's office hours ended at noon, off we went to urgent care at the local children's hospital. We were quickly whisked in to an exam room, and within an hour, Jonas had downed a shot of Decadron to reduce the swelling. I'm relieved to report that it worked.

We have been using a cool mist humidifier and monitoring him closely. He really seems fine.

Lately, Jonas has been hanging out with me in the kitchen while I clean or make a meal. In this photo, he was helping me make coffee. Yesterday, he watched me make a cake. He seems especially entranced by anything going on in the sink.

He is gradually beginning to discover his feet, and actually using them to pick up objects or move them closer to his hands. However, he has yet to grab them with him hands, or put them in his mouth. He came close to doing that this morning though, so I know it's just a matter of time.

He is really into his toys now, and can play independently for 10-20 minutes at a time. He is super observant, and watches Ed and I constantly to see what we are doing. He loves to look at himself in the mirror too.

I'm not sure whether I've shared this before, but Jonas has hypospadias. Here's the online definition: an abnormal condition in males in which the urethra opens on the under surface of the penis. This apparently occurs in 1 out of 150 boys and is easily repaired.

We have scheduled him for surgery on 10/28 and have been informed that it is a 2 hour procedure. Keep your fingers crossed that Jonas stays healthy so the surgery won't have to be rescheduled!

No comments: