Friday, June 16, 2017

First Day of Summer School, 2016


On Wednesday, June 8th, we got into the car and headed to the first day of summer school. You had only been on "summer break" for 5 days yet you were more than ready to go back to school. I am simultaneously relieved and grateful that you both seem to enjoy school so much and embrace the idea of attending school for 7 weeks each summer. 

Jonas, as you walked to the car, you were singing songs in French. It inspired me to hit record on my phone and record the next 20 minutes of your lives. We are in the car for the 15-minute commute to school, then we are walking into the school building, finding your classrooms, greeting your teachers, and meeting your new classmates. 

Gill, you were equally eager, trying to sing along with Jonas, but not knowing the words. The world will open wide for you when you begin to read, and you are ready. It will happen very soon.

As you listen to the recording, you will hear a negotiation over water bottles. As we walk into the school, you can hear the nearby church clock tower chiming 8. We always get to school right at 8am, rarely late, but never early. Jonas quickly went off, on his own, to the new wing where third grade classrooms are. Gill, you and I headed downstairs to the cafeteria where we waited for your teacher. You introduced yourself to lots of people, and tried to convince me to let you into my phone using my "fingerprint" software. 


Gill, you and I walked upstairs to Mme Defosse's classroom; you are wearing the blue shirt. 



After I left Gill, I walked back downstairs and down the hall to the 3rd grade classrooms to snap a quick photo of Jonas' class.



And here's a photo of our family before we left home. Sadly, it's blurry. Oh well.

No comments: