Monday, June 26, 2017

Kitchen Update #5: Big D Day

It's Saturday, June 25. I call it Big D Day. Ed, Adam (a young chem-e student we found on NextDoor) and Gill are taking out cabinets today. Plaster and lathe will come later. Ed removed the dishwasher and the stove yesterday. Last night, after he turned off the water, I freaked out as there was a sink full of dishes. So, we broke in the outdoor sink. I got very wet doing dishes with the hose, but it didn't feel too bad on a summer night. Plus, spilling water all over the floor is no longer a concern. I watered the plants with the grey water. It felt very bohemian.

The hammering this morning was so profound it shook the house. But there's now a lull. As I type this, I can hear Ed in the kitchen talking to Adam about becoming an engineer. "As an engineer, you only have one job - to get what's in your head into another person's head. Communication. And you only do that with your writing, drawing, or speaking skills. You need all three."

Gill got in on the action early. He was sleeping, and I whispered in his ear, "do you want to take out a cabinet?" His eyes popped open and he bounced out of bed like it was Christmas morning.


Yes, he really was swinging that sledge hammer. 





No comments: