Thursday, July 7, 2011

Growing, growing, gone!

Jonas had his 3 year visit with the pediatrician on Tuesday. His weight (30 pounds) puts him in the 40th percentile with his height (37 inches) in the 35th percentile. We are tantilizingly on the cusp of potty training. He will wear underwear, and get to the potty about 50% of the time. The big problem is the poop. He tries to hold it in; we've effectively trumped that strategy with a daily administration of Miralax for the past 8 months. Works like a charm.

Jonas is also talking up a storm (full sentence with mostly accurate syntax and pronoun usage) and I can understand about 85% of what he says. As Ed predicted, he is troubled by the "r" sound. Ed finds it particularly entertaining when he overhears Jonas yelling (and pointing) at ants on the sidewalk, telling them to go away. He experienced his first bee bite while we visiting Steve, Sue and Nathan in Greenwood, Arkansas. The bee landed on his finger while he floated in the pool. Before I could shoo it away, he was crying, and I was pulling out the stinger. Within minutes, though, he was fine. Despite my precautionary administration of a Benedryl, he skipped a nap that day.

Gill is also growing faster than I can measure. I try to cuddle and smooch him every chance I get. He is so adorable with his soft, springy curls, big blue eyes, and the ears that stick out. Not to mention his buck teeth. He has 6 teeth, almost all of which are on one side of his mouth. I can see one renegade tooth breaking through at the top on the other side, though. He is an exceptional child, always smiling first thing after waking, and laughing and happy most of the rest of the day. He's had a fever for the past 24 hours, so I spent the day with him at home today. Ed is on duty tomorrow, and I think we'll get him to the doctor to check him out. Like his older brother, he does seem to struggle a bit with chest congestion, but is otherwise quite fine. Since he had tubes put into his ears, he hasn't been sick very often. Like big brother, he also had his yearly check up with the pediatrician. He is in the 10th percentile for weight, but I have no doubts he'll catch up with the way he eats. I haven't seen him turn away much in the way of food. At his Aunt Cindy's house in Opelousas, he ate catfish courtbouillion with his very own spoon, shoveling it all in as quickly as he could. And that was the day AFTER he pigged out on boiled crawfish!

Finally! I can see evidence of my Cajun heritage in one of my boys!

No comments: